SEO or Search engine optimization is important for anysuccessful blogging campaign. Hence, it has to be implemented correctly. Balancing the right level of SEO is like walking on a tight rope, not less or not more or you will fall over.
As it is important to know everything about good things, it is equally important to know about things that you should be avoiding. Here are 12 SEO mistakes that you should avoid:
1. Purchasing links – You must never buy links or pay for links. You might get a short-term boost if you buy links, but it is a huge risk for your website. Google search engine will flag all the paid links and eventually your site will be penalized and banned. It is best if you follow comment linking manually, this way your blog will grow steadily and the result will always be fruitful.
2. Posting Poor Content – You must avoid posting poor content, because if you do so, you will lose your blog audiences and your page ranking will drop too. So ensure that every post you publish is of good quality, relevant to your blog niche and unique. Before your publish content double check it for any spelling or grammar errors, review your links and make sure they are placed at the right point.
3. Plagiarized Content – Many bloggers post spun content with a little variation in the keywords. For example, “Tips for Healthy Skin” and “Healthy Skin Tips” are similar. This results in identical or plagiarized content. Search engines will find out and you will be penalized and banned. This will lead to a loss of your blog’s credibility.
4. Keyword Overuse – Keywords are important for post and they are an important SEO strategy. However, over stuffing keyword is dangerous. It is one of the most common SEO mistakes. It is unethical and affects your page rankings badly. If you overstuff the keywords, the text makes little sense to the reader and you will lose them. Therefore, write good quality content and let the keywords flow in.
5. Irregular Posting – The idea of blogging is to keep your customers returning. When you blog once in a month or two or whenever you like, you will lose your audience and ultimately your blog will lose its ranking. To avoid this mistake you must keep posting regularly the right kind of material with consistent effort. Keep publishing fresh new content and drive traffic to your site. After all, consistency is the key.
6. Improper tag usage – Tags are intrinsic to your efforts, so you have to ensure that your tags are relevant to your product and services your blog offers. For this you have to research for keywords that are frequently searched and include the most important terms in those fields.
7. Not using Social Media – Social media should be integrated into your SEO effort because they are useful in bringing links to your site. If you do not use social networking sites for SEO then you will lose a lot of traffic. Hence, you need to optimize the content and properties of various social platforms and maintain regular activity like tweeting, updating status etc. so that search engines detect your blog and improve your rank.
8. Back link obsession – Back links are important SEO strategies; however, back link obsession is a huge mistake. Back links alone are not a big SEO plan. You must focus on building a good site with useful and shareable content. If you do that, you will get back links naturally.
9. Imbalance between content and design – Obsessing over content and sacrificing the looks of your site is a huge mistake; in the same way, sacrificing content for design is wrong too. So, you need to maintain a healthy balance between content and design. Your blog needs to have good content and design too.
10. Doing SEO wrongly – Many people optimize their sites in a wrong way. For example concerning link building, many bloggers link only to their website’s front page, instead links should be built to all the posts and bloggers should stay up to date with the SEO knowledge.
11. Maintaining multiple sites – Managing multiple sites is not a good idea. It is better to invest in one good site, so that your audience visits one location rather than juggling between multiple sites. This will divert more traffic to one main site and page ranking will improve too.
12. Forgetting the ALT tag – Though Google does not emphasize on the ALT tags, other search engines like Yahoo, Bing etc. does. A picture if not optimized for a keyword remains only an image file. Therefore, you have to optimize it and for this, you have to use the ALT tag when you insert an image in your post and give the file, which describes your image, a keyword.